Wednesday 11 September 2013

Jeera (Cumin) Cookies

I recently got back from a holiday in Wayanad, Kerala. While there, I stayed at Vythiri Resort, which I must say is a lovely place if you want to get away from it all and really enjoy some peace and quiet. No TV, almost no internet and not the best network, so no annoying calls from work :)

One of my favorite experiences of the resort was afternoon tea, which was always accompanied by delicious goodies like cinnamon rolls, banana fritters and various yummy treats. One of the items they served was a sweet and savory puff pastry biscuit which I absolutely loved! Which gets me to the point of this post. Now I know I love cooking, but even I don't have the patience to make puff pastry. Besides I'm sure if I did make it myself, I would stop eating it once I see how much butter goes into it! 

But the taste of these tiny bites of happiness reminded me of a long forgotten favorite of mine- Jeera biscuits! These slightly sweet, slightly savory biscuits flavored with bits of jeera (cumin) are so nice with afternoon tea or coffee and would even be nice as a party snack, served with a spicy jam or chutney. 

Here's my recipe for Jeera cookies...

1 1/2 cups plain flour (maida)
2 tbsp powdered sugar
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1 tbsp roasted cumin seeds (jeera)
2 tbsp butter (cold & cubed)
1 tbsp ghee
1/4 cup cold milk
1/4 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. 

In a large bowl mix together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cumin. Add the cubed butter and mix with a fork until the mixture resembles  bread crumbs. (This can also be done in a food processor). Next, add the ghee. 

Mix the milk and vanilla together separately and add this milk mixture to the flour mixture slowly and bit by bit until the flour mixture comes together like a dough. Its okay if you don't use the entire milk mixture. Lightly knead the dough on a lightly floured surface and divide into four balls. Roll out each ball till about 6mm thick and cut into shapes using a cookie cutter. Place cookies on a tray lined with butter paper and chill in the freezer for about 10 minutes. Bake the chilled cookies for about 20 mins or until they just start to appear pale golden along the edges. Cool on a wire rack.

Best enjoyed with a nice cup of tea and a good book! 



[Image- All Things Nice]

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...